Table of Contents
Compton & Shawford Local History Society
LHS meeting Monday 21 October 2019
Place: Compton & Shawford Sports Pavilion
What for: Open meeting for anyone with an interest in our local history.
We particularly welcome people with an interest in a particular area of local history who would like to help with research.
The Society doesn’t charge a subscription but we ask you to contribute £1 towards costs of using the room.
- Surveying Compton Graveyard (JW)
- Roman Road and Hollow Way (JW) – for more information see The Otterbourne Road , The Ancient Roads of Compton and Notes on Roman Roads in the South of Hants
- Heathcote’s letters and sketches from Peru 1873-75 (AW) see Arthur Heathcote: Letters home from the Peruvian Sierra 1873
- History of the Heathcote Players (AW) – see Memories of the Heathcote Players
- other activity since the last meeting
- future projects – suggestions welcome
Since the last meeting the following articles have appeared in the Parish Magazine and/or this website:-
- Monthly during 2019: Compton Clergy of Long Ago (reprints of Drew’s series of article from the Parish Magazine 1934)
- June 2019 – Peter Neyroud’s review of “The Story of a Quiet Parish” by Barbara Clegg
- June 2019 – Report of the Local History Society Meeting on 2 May 2019
- June 2019 – An appreciation of the life of Barbara Large MBE. Amongst her many achievements, she was joint publisher of Austin Whitaker’s 1985 “Compton & Shawford” history booklet.
- August 2019 – Arthur Malcolm Heathcote (1847-1934) – celebrating the life of Arthur Heathcote 100 years after he moved to Compton, where he would spend the last 15 years of his life.
- October 2019 – The Otterbourne Road – A brief history of tracks, routes and roads in Compton & Shawford
- October 2019 – The Philip Williams memorial window – notes about the window to accompany the ninth instalment of “Clergy of Long Ago”.
John Wilkinson, OBE.
Convenor Compton & Shawford Local History Society.