Compton’s martyr, John Philpot, had a colourful career and crossed paths with many other characters with interesting and unusual stories, as we shall see.
Sir John Philipot
The Philpot Family
Sir Richard Whittington
Archdeacon John Philpot
Bishop Stephen Gardiner
Bishop John Ponet
Diocesan Registrar John Cooke (or Cook)
Bishop Edmund “Bloody” Bonner
JS Drew writes:
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography – free access if you have a Hampshire Library card
- Compton near Winchester – being an Enquiry into the History of a Hampshire Parish; J S Drew, published 1939 by Warren and Sons, Winchester
- Compton & Shawford, by Austin Whitaker, ©1985, Published by Barbara Large & Austin Whitaker
- Winchester Cathedral Stained Glass, Mary Callé. Published by the Friends of Winchester Cathedral.
- Lives of Eminent and Illustrious Englishmen, from Alfred the Great to the Latest Times, edited by George Godfrey Cunningham, Vol I 1836, Vol II 1837. Available as an ebook from Google Books, and in hard copy from various sources.
- A History of England in the Lives of Englishmen, Edited by George Godfrey Cunningham, vol. I 1853. Also available as an ebook from Google Books, and in hard copy from various sources.
- Archdeacon John Philpot
- Sir John Philipot
- Philipot, John (d.1384) (DNB00)
- British History Online : Calendar of Letter-Books of the City of London: H, 1375-1399 – Introduction
- British History Online: the Borough of Scarborough
- The Chronica Maiora of Thomas Walsingham, 1376-1422
- Mercer Millions website: Sir Andrew Mercer
- The Old Scots Navy on Mercer
- Delphi Classics: The Complete Works of Geoffrey Chaucer
- Wikipedia List of Lord Mayors of London
- Geni.com Sir John Philpot, Lord Mayor of London
- Catalogue of the tombs in the churches of the city of London, A.D. 1666. By Major Payne Fisher, B.A
- Sir Richard (Dick) Whittington
- Bishop Stephen Gardiner
- Bishop Edmund Bonner
- Bishop John Ponet (or Poynet)