The Victory Memorial Playing Field
From the Parish Magazine October 1948
The official opening of the Playing Field by Mr. Judd took place on September 4th 1948, a date which had been selected, when it was known that the erection of the pavilion – presented by the late Shawford Golf Club – would be complete.
Mr. Thompson, Chairman of the Parish Council, opened the proceedings, and Mr. Ashby, Chairman of the Playing Field Committee, gave an outline of the work carried out up to date, and the proposals for future development. The Rector said Prayers in memory of those who gave their lives for us in the last war, and to whom the Playing Field is a Memorial. Mr. Judd declared the Field open, and then planted the first tree of those which it is intended will form the Western boundary of the Field.
The afternoon was occupied by sports for local residents and included a race for the bugle band of the Hampshire Air Training Corps. The band gave a performance which was much appreciated both athletically and musically! Side-shows, competitions and teas, etc., were well supported until the rain, which had been threatening for some time, closed the proceedings earlier than had been arranged on the programme.
It has been suggested that members of the Parish might like to give trees as individual memorials for the Western boundary – a record being kept in the pavilion. The Secretary, Captain Johnson, will be pleased to receive the name of anyone who wishes to give a tree.
The Playing Field Committee wish to thank all who by their hard work and gifts assisted in making the opening a success, and hope that plenty of support will be given to the playing of games, and to the upkeep of the ground in the future.
This item first appeared in the October 1948 Parish Magazine. It was reprinted in the October 2018 Parish Magazine.